How Does Music Therapy Make a Difference for Individuals with a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s?
Music therapy interventions with individuals who have Alzheimer’s or related dementias provide opportunities for:
• Memory recall which contributes to reminiscence and satisfaction with life
• Positive changes in mood and emotional states
• Sense of control over life through successful experiences
• Anxiety and stress reduction for older adult and caregiver
• Awareness of self and environment which accompanies increased attention to music
• Nonpharmacological management of pain and discomfort
How Does Music Therapy Help Families of Individuals with Diagnoses of Alzheimer’s and related dementias?
Music Therapy provides:
• A forum to share common experiences and enjoyment as a couple or family
• Meaningful time spent together in a positive, creative way
• Relaxation for the entire family
• Stimulation for reminiscence of family bonds
• Unity and intimacy for families through verbal and nonverbal interaction